One of the very first drawing I did, and the last that came to life. Locusta, the one that was seen as a Super 1000 insect, something that was never made, never imagined. I took my time to do it, like if I was waiting to have the capacities to do it well. This Zoid is an accomplishement, maybe because it is the last of the drawing I was needing to do, but also because it is the one I designed like a Super 1000, and in the 80-90ies, in Europe, the Super 1000 line was the most inovative one. Each of the Super 1000 Zoid was unique, sharing nothing with his mate, with new colours, transluscent parts, and a real head, not a robot head. But no insect was done. So this one was the insect of the Super 1000.
First, the body had to be like it was in one or two pieces, something simple, but all fitting in the overall shape. I had the chance to have a Geno tail, and a Deadborder tail cut exactly where it should have been. For the head, I soon had the idea to use two armor pieces from a Rhimos, with some addition. But the shape was the good one, so those were the parts to use.
Actually, there was a lot of work to do on the head. I wanted it opening, and this changes everything. A closed head, without seat and pilot, will have been easy to do, but I wanted an opening one. So I had to think of a big canopy opening, which was the head itself, but I had to build a system to push it a little away from the body, to make it opening properly (the seat is not moving. The head is moving forward, and turning, to make the pilot appear), so the attach on the main body was more difficult to do, and, there was under the head, a little detail from the drawing that I wanted to keep (the little grey guns), that added more difficultes. To resume, the head was the most difficult part to realise. BUT, it is opening, now. I am happy to have succed that.
Another thing I wanted to realise, the wing had to open, and to do like a real grasshopper. In 1991, when I did the drawing, I wasn't really aware of the real shape of the insect (for example, I did eight legs where there should have been only six). So I search a little for the realisation of the custom, and I tryed to do better. And the wings were a big challenge.
First, they had to be transluscent. In the Super 1000 line, a lot of Zoids had translucent parts. So for a Super 1000 insect, the wing had to be transluscent. But for a grasshopper, there are two big wings, and the small under. So I did the two big one, like on the drawing, but under, I did the small one, deploying, in three parts each, all maintain on a peg I created, with a cap. I had to look at several photos of grasshopper to understand how the wings were done. There are two big wings, and the two others in several parts, all of them put on four pegs, with pour caps.
The wings were the parts asking the most to me. Actually, I finished all the Zoid fast, but I still had the wings to do.
Here si the plus I did for this Zoid : a box. This is a Super 1000 box, using all that was seen in the Super 1000 boxes in 1988 in Europe.
I tryed to be as where the Super 1000 boxes in 1988. The same desing, in all the details. I scanned the logos, like the circle "hi-power-super 1000" one on the front, the language on each side of the box was respected, and, I put a drawing as back art, like what was done on the old Super 1000 box. For that, I used my own drawing, the one I did in 1991, with the little Scavenger, that became Zavenga after. All the details from the 1988 boxes were used.
Now, here is this drawing, the very first I made, in 1991, when I was expecting what could have been the OER line after the Super 1000, if it has go one.
And some steps of the building :
I tryed a lot of possibilities for the main body, but I ended with a Genosaurer tail, and for the torso, a broken Deadborder tail segment. The head was easyer to find. The Rhimos leg armor had the perfect shape. I was lucky to have those Giga Fuzor lights, to make the eyes. For the legs, I was planing a long time ago to use Scarab ones. But it wasn't fiting for the rear ones, that had to be longer. Here, I had to search a little, and tryed several possibilities too.
I worked a lot on the wings. In the drawing, there were only two wings, squared. I looked at a lot of grasshopper photos to see how the wings were done, and how they were deploying. Because I wanted the wings move. So I first did a shape with paper, to adjust the size and the details, before I make them in transluscent blue. There are on each side one main wing, and under three deploying little ones. All of them are fixed on the moving part of the Geno tail, that I holed. I had to create pegs to put caps to maintain all of this.
There was a problem to put the rear legs, but I used, like I did before, Blox parts. Really useful for the articulations.
The seat of the pilot. It was not as simple as it could seem to do. I wanted the head opening, but there was problems, the head was touching the torso and wasn't moving. So there is a moving part under the seat, where the head was fixed. So to open, you must first move the head forward, and then turn it.
The result without the wings. They were the part the most difficult to do, after the head, I had to do several wings before I can put one without tearing it.
This Zoids is one from the 1989 line.
Now, the story :
On Nemtu, the new Red ground army, leaded by Ardeosaurus Red, was moving fast, encountering few resistance. The Blue cities had to develop quick new Zoids to protect them. Then were born several flying Zoids, Locusta, Armored Sworder or Coeada. Those Zoids had to be fast, to reach any island in a few time, and heavy weaponery to fight against the Red Zoids.
Locusta survived the great assault against the Red archipelago, and go on the fight against the new Red army of Scaphites.
The full story here.
Back to custom main page
Back to main menu